I have worked as a tutor since university - so have over three years of experience. One of my students was a seventeen-year old girl at Durham Sixth Form college in 2016-17. We worked together on her A Level Geography exam for about a year. During this time we were able to improve her grades from an E in her AS Level to a B overall, which was far above her own expectations.
In June-July 2018 I was employed by a company, Discovery Summer, which hosts summer schools for international students (aged 12 to 16) in UK boarding schools. Within this capacity I gained much experience in lesson planning for activities, communicating effectively with students and, most importantly, was given fifteen students to mentor during their month abroad. As their tutor we had one-on-one sessions to discuss their progress at the school and I was able to give them tasks and sessions to work on skills they felt needed improvement. In particular, due to my academic skillset, I worked with the students on improving exam technique and ran sessions on "learning to learn", which they found especially useful.
I also have a lot of experience working with young people on a voluntary basis. Whilst at school I worked as a Rainbows Young Leader, which saw me volunteering with girls aged between 5-7 for four years, making me very confident in working with children, as well as young people. Moreover, I have also recently volunteered in Colombia with street children in Medellin, which gave me a real enthusiasm for helping young people to achieve their potential.
For me, learning and thriving in an academic setting is all about confidence and the ability to express knowledge. My approach to tutoring is focused on preventing a lesson becoming a lecture, using different types of learning techniques to help my students thrive. Assessing what kind of learner my students are helps me tailor lesson plans and meet our targets and goals together.
My name is Katie, I am twenty-one years old, originally from Essex but currently in the process of moving to central London. I have recently graduated from the University of Durham, where I achieved a First Class Honours degree in History.
I am a very active, friendly and energetic individual and outside of my studies I have numerous interests. At university I was heavily involved in charity work, and in my final year I balanced my studies with being President of Durham University Charity Committee, which makes a profit of £400,000 each year. I am a keen runner and completed the London Marathon in April 2018. I also love travelling and am constantly planning a trip somewhere - next on my list is Colombia and Brazil. I am currently applying to start a Masters Degree in October 2019, hopefully within the London area, and am hoping to work in the charity sector in the long-term.
I have a very strong academic record, achieving twelve A* GCSEs and 5 A* A Levels in a broad-range of subjects at school. I have always personally enjoyed education, and having only recently graduated and taken multiple exams in the past 5 years, I feel very confident that I can help other young people to improve their own grades and knowledge.
2015 - 2018 Durham University
BA (Hons) History Result: First
2013 - 2015 Chelmsford County High School for Girls, Chelmsford, Essex
A Levels: 5 A*s in History, English Literature, Geography, Economics, General Studies.
GCSEs: 12 A*s, including Maths and English
September 2017 - President – Durham University Charity Committee
- Ran a committee of twelve students who were responsible for all fundraising undertaken within Durham University, which is one of the largest in the country and has a yearly turn-over of over £500,000.
- Liaised with the Students’ Union to co-ordinate and organise the committee’s legal, risk and financial affairs, including leading meetings with tax advisors and solicitors.
- Represented the committee within the university body and to external bodies.
- Demonstrated ambition and initiative, successfully leading the committee to double their fundraising total from the previous year and raise over £400,000.
- Developed a sponsorship campaign, which culminated in the securement of two sponsorship agreements worth over £5,000.
- Co-ordinated a new marketing, social media, and advertising campaign, which was highly successful in cultivating increased student support and awareness.
September 2016 – Events Officer – Durham University Charity Committee
- Held a position on the executive committee and was responsible for planning and executing all major charity events within the university.
- Ran a team of eight other students to launch our events, such as a university-wide ball and a cathedral sleep-out, which included promotion, budgeting and schedule organisation.
- Successfully increased the profile of charity events within the university and hosted brand-new events, bringing them from conception to execution.
- Cultivated excellent relations within and outside of the committee, including with our charity partners.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and creativity, eventually overseeing the fundraising of £25,000, which was a 35% increase on the previous year’s total for events.
June – September 2015 Information and Help Desk Assistant - Bank of America
- Worked on project management within the technology department to launch a new computer system.
- Responsible for helping to deal with customer enquiries, research and assist with trouble-shooting, and act assist senior members of the team.
- Gained a variety of office-based practical skills within a corporate environment and developed extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word packages, especially Excel.
- Successfully helped to launch a new international project for the company and worked well within this large team, including attending and recording meetings.
- Embraced responsibility and demonstrated initiative when competing tasks, being entrusted to run the help desk and respond to external queries.
June - July 2018 House Parent - Discovery Summer Cobham.
- Responsible for the welfare and pastoral care of international students attending a UK summer school, including undertaking risk assessments and being the nominated First Aider.
- Provided administrative support to the senior management team, as well as liaising with the host school and running activities for students.
- Displayed excellent communication skills and cultivated a very strong relationship with external host staff members.
- Demonstrated proficiency in administration and organisation and contributed towards the smooth-running of the school, also helping to launch and evaluate a new mentoring scheme.
2017 – present Section Waitress - The Fox and Goose
- Serving customers and waiting on tables in a large restaurant in a professional and organised manner.
- Developed strong time-planning and management skills and demonstrated ability to cope in high pressure situations.
- Worked to develop excellent customer relations and has a very professional manner.
2015 – present
- Teaching children and young people a vast variety of subjects, specialising in History, English Literature and Geography but also offering up to GCSE level in Maths and the Sciences.
- Working alongside a seventeen-year old student to improve their A Level Geography mark from an ‘Unmarked’ grade at AS Level to a ‘B’ overall.
Hobbies and Interest
- Enjoys learning languages and is currently studying French, and has a keen interest in travel, including student-led two month long volunteering expeditions to Asia and South America.
- Is an avid runner, completing the 2018 London Marathon and the 2016 Great North Run.
- Heavily involved in volunteering work both abroad and in the UK, including working as a Sixth Form tutor and running a volunteering scheme with AGE UK and the students of St Chad’s College, which won regional awards.
english literature lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest literacy lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|