My main goal as a tutor is to improve a child's confidence in their subject of choice. In my experience the best way to do this is to get the student to do as much of the talking as possible. This also prepares them nicely for their exams as they will have to talk themselves through the question paper in front of them. It is also the best way for pupils to recognise their mistakes and makes them less likely to repeat these mistakes. We will go through as many examples as needed before moving onto exam questions of an appropriate level.
I am an undergraduate student at the University of Birmingham studying Biochemistry. I have been tutoring science and maths for 4 years now, helping out nearly 20 students. I have worked with a variety of students, from those looking to build the confidence to pass their GCSE exam, to those looking to secure the top grades to allow them to carry on with their studies in maths. I also have experience with a number of dyslexic students who have been very successful.
CURRICULUM VITAE ABIGAIL GORDON
ADDRESS: 43 Coombe Bridge Avenue
TELEPHONE: (concealed information)1
DATE OF BIRTH: 10th February 1999
I am hardworking and organised as evidenced by my academic achievements. I am motivated and committed to see things through, shown by achieving grade 6 in my ballet exams. I am friendly and confident and being selected by my peers and teachers to be Head Girl at my secondary school evidences this. Since leaving school I took a year out before starting at university during which I worked, volunteered, taught dance and travelled.
I am currently in my first year studying Biochemistry BSc. I am also taking a module in Spanish.
• 2018- present University of Birmingham
• 2015- 2017 St. Bede’s Catholic College Sixth Form
• 2010-2015 St.Bede’s Catholic College
A LEVEL SUBJECT RESULTS (June 2016/17)
• Chemistry A
• Psychology A*
• Biology A
• Maths AS A
GCSE SUBJECTS RESULTS (June 2015):
• 12 GCSEs, 5 A*s including Maths, 5 As including English Language and Literature, 2 Bs.
WORK EXPERIENCE/VOLUNTARY WORK:
• September 2018 – Employed by MyTutor.com to tutor GCSE students needing intervention in Science and Maths
• May – June 2018 – Volunteered teaching English at a non-profit organisation in Indonesia (concealed information)
• September 2017 – September 2018 Laboratory technician at St. Bede’s Catholic College. This involved preparation of GCSE and A-level science experiments and maintenance of laboratories.
• June 2017 – Nannying for 2 young girls. This involved picking them up from school and looking after them.
• November 2015 - 2017 – Sales assistant at Sweet Pea clothes and accessories shop
• October 2015 – Sales assistant over the Christmas period at Next.
• May 2015 – Work experience in ‘Stripy Dog’ groomers, helping out with bathing, brushing dogs and dealing with customers.
• May 2013 – 2014 - Weekly reading sessions with year 1 children at Our Lady of the Rosary primary school.
• September 2018 – Co-ran a dance group which competed in multiple competitions and came 1st place in regional finals.
• April 2016 – Completed the ‘Access to Bristol’ Scheme at the University of Bristol in the Biomedical science subject stream.
• November 2015 – Became a member of the ‘Mensa’ society.
• September 2014 – Appointed as ‘Head Girl’ at St Bedes following voting by peers and teachers.
• June 2014 - Achieved Grade 6 in ballet (at both merit and distinction level).
• May 2013 – Nominated and achieved an English faculty award at year end school prize giving, only 2 awards were presented in this category for the whole school.
• Sep 2012 - Created a short film about bullying which received excellent feedback from my teachers and has been shown in PSHCE lessons for all years at St Bedes and also at Redland Green School. As a result, I was also asked to hand out an award at the Watershed short film competition.
• Emma Bourne – Employed by Emma to work at Sweet Pea as a sales assistant (concealed information)3
• Karen Walmsley – Senior science technician at St. Bede’s Catholic college (concealed information)
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest trigonometry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chemistry lessons for all!
Taking organic chemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£20|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£200|