A first class Cambridge graduate with a passion for the social sciences. I am currently a PhD student at Columbia University, where I also teach full classes. I am currently only available online. Online tutoring tends to work extremely well.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach politics, sociology, and anthropology at degree level. I charge 75 pounds per hour for all subjects.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
I have a first class BA/MA degree from King's College, Cambridge in Social and Political Sciences. I have an MA in Politics and Anthropology. I begin my PhD in September My qualifications are listed below.
2022: Cultural Anthropology- Expected PhD
2016: Cultural Anthropology- Columbia University (MA)
2014: Cultural Anthropology- The New School (MA)
2014: SPS- First Class- Cambridge (MA)
2011: SPS- First Class - Cambridge (BA)
2007: A Levels- All A
2005: GCSE's- All A*
- How much do you charge?
I charge 60 pounds per hour for all tiers.
- Where do you teach?
I can teach you wherever you are in the world over e-mail/skype/other software (see below)
- When are you available?
I am currently extremely flexible and am available most days of the week.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
I primarily teach students age 18 and above.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
BA, MA, PhD
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
I have access to Skype and am happy to purchase other videoconferencing software if necessary. I have a considerable amount of experience in tutoring online and realise that lessons will play out differently to tutoring in person. I use the 'share screen' option on skype often in order to have an interactive lesson and I follow up lessons for free with e-mail correspondence.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
The primary reason why people do not achieve their goals in their degrees is due to their essay writing skills. You can have encyclopedic knowledge of a subject and still not be able to put pen to paper in a sophisticated and persuasive way. Indeed, the British education system only tests you on your writing (unlike the American system) and yet it often fails to teach students how to write well. I would help to guide you through both the content of your course, and just as importantly, the style of writing necessary to your subject.
Howard is one of our best tutors. They have a high-quality profile, verified qualifications, a quick response time, and great reviews from students!
- What kind of experience do you have?
- 1 year of teaching classes at Columbia University which includes student mentorship.
- 6 years of proofreading experience.
- 6years of private tuition including A level students from various schools, and degree students from universities such as: LSE, Birkbeck, King's College London, The Open University, The University of Hong Kong, University of Cambridge, and the University of Manchester.
- Educational Consultancy work for a company based in Hong Kong
- Teaching for a British company that provides coaching for international students who wish to apply to British universities.
- 1 year of Teaching English as a Foreign Language with Educastream
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Yes, from July 2014.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
I have guided a student from the beginning of her A level in Anthropology all the way through to the final terms of her Master's degree. She has received consistent first class results.
I taught an LSE undergraduate essay skills in the social sciences. While she was highly able at the content, she began the sessions finding essay structuring a difficult task, partly because she was dyslexic. We worked together on the structure of her essays in the lead up to her exams. I have had three other dyslexic students.
I have proofread a number of dissertations for grammar and spelling, particularly in sociology and politics. I have also helped a number of students to navigate the Oxbridge admissions system. One left me a testimonial, which I have posted on my profile.
• PhD Fellow at Columbia University in the City of New York
• BA from Cambridge University, MA from Columbia University
• Six years of teaching experience- both in groups and one-on-one.
• Prize-winning scholar of King's College, Cambridge
Howard was a very helpful tutor, he excels in social sciences and any subject that would require essay writing skills. He has helped me with structure, organisation, and thought process, and most importantly he would teach you in a way that would help you understand things more clearly and effectively. All in all he is a very fun person to be taught by, and exceeds in social sciences of all kinds. Very highly recommended if you want to aim and achieve high!
I would strongly recommend Howard as a tutor. His honesty, and very measured approach would certainly bring outstanding results to those who might need some guidance throughout their academic studies.
I will always be very thankful to Howard for his spectacular work and support that he gave me, throughout my final year at university. He made me fully achieve my goal. I moved from achieving pass/third marks to first class marks in the time spent with him as a tutor.
Howard provided me with invaluable advice about my upcoming interview at Cambridge. Apart from giving me a mock interview over Skype, he read through the essays I had sent off as part of my application, provided me with practice passages to comment on and answered any questions I had. The sessions really boosted my confidence and helped focus my preparation. Many thanks for your help Howard.
Always extremely helpful! Gives excellent and detailed feedback - great understanding of topics in international relations.
dissertation and thesis preparation lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|