I mostly teach science at a secondary school level (KS3, GCSE, A-level). Making my lessons interactive is something I strive for, because I know full well that you can't learn anything from being talked at. Using simple analogies also helps make science less alien to people!
I am about to start a master's degree in materials science at Cambridge! I am part of a voluntary science outreach organisation who go around the country teaching science to children (and sometimes even adults). For the past 3 years of my degree, I have also been tutoring on and off. But I'd like to get back into it now that I've had other teaching experiences.
2015 to Present
Fitzwilliam College, University of Cambridge
BA in Physical Natural Sciences specialising in Materials Science – achieved 2i.
Continuing another year of study for MSci degree.
2013 – 2015
JFS (Sixth Form), Kenton, London
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Mathematics – A*
Physics – A (AS-level only)
Previous Teaching Experience:
2018 - Research project, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Cambridge
• Project investigating how to increase effectiveness of learning and teaching using videos.
2018 - Lab demonstrator at Headstart course, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Cambridge
• Teaching university-level materials science to lower sixth form students in a teaching laboratory with various experiments.
2017 to Present - Volunteering with Cambridge Hands-on Science
• Demonstrating various science topics at public and private events to children of a large age range (6-18). Have received some fantastic personal feedback from students.
2017 - Physics tutor for a local Cambridge family (weekly, for 7 months)
• Was regularly told by the client that her children were enjoying the lessons and that they thought my teaching was “excellent.”
2014 to 2016 - Senior coach at a summer sports camp for children in Mill Hill (5 weeks in total)
• After volunteering in 2014, I was asked back in subsequent years on a paid basis.
• Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award (2017)
• UKMT Maths Challenge
- Gold award 2014
- Best in year 2013
- Silver award 2013, 2012
• ABRSM piano grade 7 – pass (2015)
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest physics lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chemistry lessons for all!
Taking other sciences lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£25||£25|