Thank you for visiting my profile.
I am a passionate and enthusiastic tutor with a PhD in history. I also hold a Masters Degree in History as well as a BA (Hons) in History and Politics.
Major confession - I love History! I also love teaching it and so my aim is to provide help and support to students that not only aids their development but is also fun and informative.
I can offer tutoring from GCSE to Degree level and I specialise in various subjects relating to American, British and international history and politics (see below). I can also take lessons via webcam in addition to face-to-face tutorials.
I am happy to discuss your requirements and what you expect from me. I also offer several services in addition to one-on-one tutorials that may be of interest to you.
AREA OF EXPERTISE
- General US Foreign Policy
- Cold War
- Foreign Wars (Korea, Vietnam, Gulf I, Iraq)
- 9/11 and the War on Terrorism
- Revolutionary War
- Civil War and Reconstruction
- The New Deal
- Civil Rights
- The Presidency
- The Electoral System
- Campaign Finance
- The Judicial system and the Supreme Court
- Social Cleavages
- British Political history
- Post War Consensus
- Rise of Thatcherism
- New Labour
- Electoral System
- Role of Parliament
- Functioning of Government
- Political Parties
- Local Politics
- Nazi Germany
- Italian Fascism
- International Politics
- World War One and Two
If there are any specific subjects you are interested in gaining tuition for, then please do not hesitate to contact me.
WHAT I OFFER
ONE ON ONE TUTORIALS – I am happy to travel and provide one on one sessions to students, either in person or via the internet. I would plan a schedule depending on your requirements and would tailor each lesson accordingly. I would like to find out what your requirements are and plan from there. I use a variety of techniques and activities to expand student’s knowledge whether they be audio or visual methods to help enhance the learning experience. Moreover, my classes are also designed to help students build confidence and help them develop learning skills that they can apply in the future.
PROOF READING – A key part of essay writing is correct spelling and grammar but I know from personal experience that it is hard to get everything correct and a fresh pair of eyes is sometimes needed to iron out any mistakes. After reading and writing countless essays, articles and dissertations over the years, I’ve developed a keen eye for proof reading. Therefore, I am willing to proof read essays and provide advice to students on grammar and spelling.
ESSAY WRITING ADVICE – I am also happy to provide advice and expertise on essay writing, whether it be on content, structuring, spelling and grammar.
RESEARCH SUPPORT – I can also offer techniques to aid a student’s research. This includes advice on how to utilise primary and secondary source material, the use of digital technology, archival research, oral histories etc.
I have just recently been awarded my PhD thesis in American history, where my work focused on U.S. foreign policy in the 1970s. I have undertaken archival research at several facilities in both the United States and Europe and also interviewed former members of the American government! I have also presented my research at academic conferences and I am currently working on writing a journal article.
As an associate lecturer, I have taught second year students. I helped design and implement aspects of modules in history and politics, which focused on a variety of aspects and subjects.
My role allowed me to communicate with students as a collective but also on an individual basis. As a result, I tailored my teaching to accommodate the individual needs and skills of the students to aid their development. I also read, marked and provided feedback on essays submitted at the end of the module, which required a high degree of inspection for plagiarism in addition to content and grammar.
During that time, I have provided one-on-one tutoring on various aspects of the learning process and am well versed in providing support to students in a friendly and helpful fashion. 75% of students achieved a first-class mark or upper second-class mark
I also have experienced outside of education, including a spell with the civil service that required me to provide technical support to co-workers. This, coupled with my time in higher education, has equipped me well to help individuals with their learning.
October 2014 - October 2017: Postgraduate Researcher
• Awarded University Research Studentship
• Successfully defended thesis in front of VIVA panel to receive doctorate in history (January 2018)
• Developed research proposal, arguments and methodology prior to undertaking research
• Utilised a variety of qualitative and quantitative research methods
• Analysed and scrutinised primary documents and papers at archives in the United States
• Conducted one-on-one oral history interviews with senior members of the U.S. government
• Incorporated findings into an 80,000 word thesis as well as articles and reports
• Invited to present research at academic conferences in the UK and Europe
October 2015 - January 2016: Associate Lecturer
• Taught a second-year American politics module to second year university students
• Designed informative and enjoyable lectures and seminars on a range of topics relating to U.S. politics
• Provided help, support and encouragement to the students on an individual basis
• Ran extra workshops for students to develop research skills and essay writing techniques
• 75% of students achieved a first-class mark or upper second-class mark
• Liaised with senior colleagues and supplied proposals on how to enhance the course
• Received positive feedback on the delivery of the module from students and superiors
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest current affairs lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, geopolitics lessons for all!
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£10||£8|