I graduated from Cambridge University last year with a degree in Maths. I have a passion for teaching and working with young people, and have been giving tutorials in Maths since I was a high school student myself. Since then I have tutored multiple levels, from GCSE to Maths challenge. My students found my lessons clear and comprehensive, and I have received comments that I'm good at breaking down complex concepts into manageable parts; I'm happy to provide references and testimonials upon request.
I am currently taking a gap year from my master's programme in machine learning. I am offering one-to-one tutorials in maths. My lessons will each take a duration of 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the preference of the student. In lessons I will first gain an understanding of where help is needed by examining homework and asking questions. After we have locked down the concepts which need clarification, I will break them down, explain in detail, and work interactively with the student until we get to a place of clarity. This process will involve some explanation, question-answering and going through examples.
GCSE - £30/hr
A level - £30/hr
STEP/MAT - £40/hr
Degree level - £50/hr
MSC MACHINE LEARNING | 2018 – 2020 | UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON
· Grade predicted: Distinction.
· Modules: Unsupervised Learning, Machine Vision, Supervised Learning, Introduction to Deep Learning.
Bioinformatics, Numerical Optimisation, Advanced Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning (taught by
DeepMind), Statistical Natural Language Processing.
MATHEMATICAL TRIPOS (BA HONS) | 2015 – 2018 | UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE, KING’S COLLEGE
· Part II: Upper Second Class honours, with specialization in Topology. Selected for the Master’s programme in
Mathematics at the University of Cambridge.
· Modules include: Statistics, Linear Algebra, Probability, Mathematical Analysis, Algebraic Topology.
A LEVEL & GCSE| 2011 – 2015 | YSGOL DAVID HUGHES
· A Levels: Mathematics – A*, Further Mathematics – A*, Physics – A*, Chemistry – A; GCSEs: 9A*s, 2As, 2Bs
(including A* in Mathematics and A in English)
· Sixth Term Examination Papers: Paper I – Grade S, Paper II – Grade 1, Paper III – Grade 1.
Skills & Abilities
· Highly skilled in Python and MATLAB. Completed various projects on topics such as data sampling, differential
equations, finite state machines and computational group theory. Implemented numerous machine learning
algorithms applicable to large data sets, including but not limited to neural networks, support vector machines
and expectation maximization algorithms. Proficient in using python packages such as numpy, scipy and pandas.
· Basic knowledge of Java.
· LaTeX: fluent. Frequently write coursework reports in LaTeX.
· Written numerous reports and presentation in Microsoft Office; some knowledge of video editing.
· Fluent in English and native speaker of Mandarin Chinese, GCSE level Welsh and German.
SUMMER RESEARCH INTERN | UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE | 07.2018 – 09.2018
· Project: Improving Estimation of Optical Flow – with a focus on variational methods.
· Analysed the mathematical formulation of optical flow estimation and dictionary learning; used dictionary
learning as regularization to achieve an improvement of optical flow estimation from the old TVl1 algorithm.
· Worked with optical flow estimation algorithms such as TV and Classic+NL in MATLAB.
PROJECT WORKER | EDUCATION PARTNERSHIPS AFRICA | 06.2016 – 09.2016
· Independently fundraised £2000 and managed a budget of £2200 to invest in a secondary school in East Africa.
· Highlight projects: installed a 10,000L water tank in school with a 10-year warranty; introduced into the school
its first electronic book keeping system and provided computer training to teachers; ran careers day.
Extra-curricular and Achievements
PART-TIME MATHS TUTOR | 2014 - PRESENT
· Gave mathematics tutorials of GCSE, A level, and UK Maths Challenge. Received good reviews from students for
ability to ‘break down complex concepts’.
ARTS AND DECORATIONS OFFICER | THE KING’S AFFAIR | 06.2016 – 06.2017
· Overall visual design of King’s Affair 2017, annual event of King’s College, Cambridge (~1300 guests).
· Jointly managed an arts & decorations budget of £3000, installing and creating large-scale decorations, including
video projection and mobiles.
· UK Senior Maths Challenge: 2 Gold awards.
· British Mathematical Olympiad (2014 round 1) – Silver Medal (UK rank 36).
Perfect! Yuchen is a fantastic MAT tutor! She is very flexible and targeted the areas I struggled with. She explained concepts very well before getting to a specific example and made sure I was comfortable with the reasons behind the method of the question. I would highly recommend Yuchen as a tutor.
Lucinda thinks carefully about mathematics, her willingness of getting to the bottom of a problem is going to pay off in the long term. During class she follows very well and asks good questions. She should focus more on giving herself the space she needs to tackle a problem, and try to worry less about her speed.
Perfect! Excellent tutor, clear explainations - always willing to teach in great detail to ensure understanding. Lessons are always informative whilst also being fun.
Atharv is a sharp thinker. He is good at thinking on his feet under pressure. Mathematically, Atharv has good intuition and always follows my explanation very well. To push himself further, Atharv can try to ask further questions than the problems demand, and challenge me more in class. He can also benefit from experimenting more with shapes to gain further intuitions in geometry.
Yuchen is patient and punctual, most importantly, smart, and very familiar with top maths competitions. My son benefits alot from Yuchen before taking 16+ exams. Highly recommend.
When Yuchen was a coursemate at Cambridge University, she was excellent at explaining challenging mathematical concepts to me when I was struggling to understand them. She would identify exactly what I was struggling with, before explaining the concept patiently and creatively, demonstrating a great understanding herself. I thoroughly recommend her as a tutor!
Yuchen was my coursemate at Cambridge, and often worked together on our after lecture questions. She would work the problem, beginning with important starting principles, and build the solution from there in an understandable way.
With her qualifications in Mathematics, she is more than capable of giving great help, and her skills at listening and explaining ensure that not only will you find the solution, but understand the process, and be able to do it again in future without her help.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, geometry lessons for all!
Taking statistics lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||£40||Not available||£40|
|5 hours||£180||Not available||£200|
|10 hours||£350||Not available||£400|