I am currently a senior at Rice University studying Mathematical Economic Analysis and Political Science. I can teach all math levels (including college calculus), micro and macroeconomics, and U.S. government. The structure of my lessons typically include a brief introduction and outline of the topic followed by student-led input, whether that is through practice problems, questions, or discussion. I believe that the best learning is done when students are able to work with the material in a more hands-on manner.
I have been a tutor for the past three years in the Houston area. I have worked with over 30 students, ranging from all grades (5th-12th) in a range of subjects including math (all subjects including AP Calculus), U.S. and World History, economics, and test preparation (SAT, ACT, ISEE). I also spent a summer working as a TA at Phillips Andover Academy, where I co-taught two sections of the Topics in Algebra and Pre-Calculus course. In college, I am an Academic Fellow, where I hold weekly office hours and review sessions for other university students in introductory economics and political science courses.
Rice University, Houston, TX (expected graduation date: May 2018)
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematical Economic Analysis and Political Science
Current GPA: 3.70/4.00
Teaching Assistant at Phillips Andover Academy, Andover, MA (June 2017-August 2017)
• Co-taught with mentor teacher two sections of 12 students each in Topics of Algebra and Pre-Calculus
• Independently developed and implemented lesson plans twice a week
• Analyzed student performance and provided written evaluations for each student
• Attended TA seminars twice a week to enhance pedagogical practices and learn from experienced educators
• Topics covered in course included, but are not limited to: Fundamentals of Algebra, Polynomial, Rational,
Exponential, and Logarithmic Functions, Sequences and Series
Content Development Intern at OpenStax, Houston, TX (May 2016-August 2016)
• Implemented design and content changes in 200+ textbook modules using CNXML markup language
• Collaborated with an 8-person team for an intern project competition that created a fully functional
annotation tool prototype on (concealed information) ultimately won first place
• Created cost-benefit analysis reports in Excel to illustrate the logistics of our project implementation
• Engaged in discussion with managing director and director of finance and operations to create an informative
and accurate report
Tutor Analyst at General Academic, Houston, TX (September 2015-present; during the academic year)
• Instructed 20+ students (ranging from 5th-12th grade) individually by reviewing test materials and
encouraging timely completion of assignments
• Led a class of 20 students in Bob Hope Charter School (Port Arthur, TX) for the national Standardized
Admissions Test (SAT) preparation
• Generated 500+ practice SAT and ACT questions for development of the company’s new interactive test
preparation platform, Piqosity
Academic Fellow for Rice University: Sid Richardson College (February 2016-present)
• Lead review sessions for students in mathematics, economic, and political science courses before major
• Hold weekly office hours to assist students in subject work and mentor their academic planning
• Organize campus-wide research symposiums and essay competitions
Senior Committee Chair and Representative for Rice University: Sid Richardson College (August 2017-present)
• Balance a $4000 budget for senior events of residential college
• Collaborate with college magister and local businesses to create and execute events
• Act as liaison for campus-wide senior committee to coordinate large scale events for the senior class
Junior Fellow for Gateway Study of Leadership (August 2015-May 2016)
• Conducted interviews with 8+ Rice faculty members to find trends in leadership and academia
• Analyzed and produced extensive coding for qualitative data to categorize 65 transcripts into 5 sections
• Collaborated with 5 team members and the Associate Dean of Social Science to produce a 5-series end
product pamphlet that has been published online and distributed among Rice faculty and students
Languages: Fluent in English, Proficient in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese
• Skilled in Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint)
• Proficient in HTML, CNXML, and MathML markup language
• Working knowledge in R, STATA, and MATLAB
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, geometry lessons for all!
Taking algorithms lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£27||£22|