I am a friendly maths graduate from the University of Exeter, looking to share my maths knowledge! I spent my last summer in the USA, teaching boys aged 8-18 a variety of sports and skills at summer camp. I've helped my younger sister (17) through her Maths GCSE and starting her A levels, and enjoy sharing my skills on the piano with her and her friends. I am encouraging and supportive, and am aware of a variety of approaches to take through maths teaching in order to help you learn the best way that you can. I am often told that I am a great teacher, and understand that everyone doesn't necessarily learn and remember things in the same way. I am patient, committed and encouraging, and would enjoy helping and watching you succeed and gain confidence with whatever level of mathematics you are at!
I am new to tutoring, but at university I acted as a maths mentor to younger university students. I also have younger siblings, who I help frequently with their school GCSE and A level maths. I spent my last summer teaching activities and skills at summer camp. I'm really patient and friendly, and would be very committed and attentive to ensuring you get the results you need.
Happy to discuss prices, open to suggestions.
BSc Mathematics (Hons) graduate from the University of Exeter
A personable, well-rounded, and highly perceptive maths graduate, with a passion for analytical problem solving and presenting solutions. I have extensive experience with algebra, statistics, mechanics, and enjoy drawing conclusions and insights from data. I am also interested in consulting, and would enjoy applying my enthusiasm in communicating solutions as part of a team and on an individual basis.
I have maximised plenty of opportunities to date, and having a varied work history and a broad range of interests and skills has developed my ability to connect with individuals from all walks of life. I also enjoy leading an active lifestyle and have been a member of many outdoor pursuits and sports teams throughout my university experience. As a result, I have great my time management, work ethic, and teamwork skills.
BSc Mathematics (Hons)
University of Exeter
Year completed: 2017
Award: 2:2 (2:1 in final year)
3 - A levels
Chew Valley School
Year completed: 2013
AS levels: Geography: A, Further Maths: B
11 – GCSEs
English Language: A*
English Literature: A*
Religious Education: B
Chew Valley School
Year completed: 2011
Learning from Data (1st)
Handling and analysing large datasets using Jupyter notebook, and languages like Python, R and Matlab, to present solutions in a comprehensive and thorough manner. Clustering and cross validation were explored.
Developing the theories and practices of complex analysis, and deriving solutions through mathematical reasoning and argument.
Other relevant modules:
Programming for Mathematics, Numerics and Optimisation, Statistics, Statistical Modelling, Operations Management (Business module), Mathematical Biology and Ecology, Stochastic Processes.
Employment to date
Data Entry - Tyco Electronics UK Ltd
Aug – Sept 2017
• Assisting with a stock take
Camp Counselor/Swimming instructor - Camp Moosilauke, New Hampshire, USA
June - August 2016
• Acted with leadership and responsibility as a cabin leader and swimming teacher.
• A summer spent making many international friends, overcoming communication and cultural barriers.
• Quick to hold positions of high responsibility, including taking 25+ boys on day trips, leading afternoon runs, and early morning fishing trips.
Sales Assistant - TRMG (Publishing company)
May 2013 and ongoing
• Travelling across the UK to sell merchandise at national events such as F1 Silverstone, within a continuously revolving-member team. Developed my dynamics for effective selling, teamwork, work ethic.
Catering Staff - Exeter University Catering
November 2016 – July 2017
• Bar tender/Waitress for professional events held at the university in order to help fund my studies.
• As a representative of the university, this customer-facing role required me to be professional, responsible, reliable and engaging.
Telephone Fundraiser - Ethicall, Bristol
March – April 2014
• Engaging the public in conversation, in order to present a sympathetic and reasoned argument to raise funds for charities.
• Positive outcomes were reached, often when initially faced with reluctant and unwilling individuals.
Waitress - Chew Valley Lake Tearooms, Bristol
May 2012 - August 2014
• Part-time waitress during my A levels. My responsibilities included managing the dining area, completing office work, handling incoming calls, waitressing tables, training new workers, and accommodating varying events and party sizes.
Journalism Placement - SWNS (South West News Service)
November - December 2011
• My responsibilities, included analyzing court cases and subsequently writing news items on the key events.
Achievements and skills
• 2013 - Completion of Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award, developing leadership and teamwork skills during the expeditions, sporting and volunteering elements.
• 2012 - Selected to go to Auschwitz as part of the ‘Holocaust Awareness Scheme’ and present my experiences to an audience of 300 peers.
• 2011 - A* in GCSE maths half a year early
• 2010 - Participation in both the Junior and Senior Maths Challenges (an interschool competition), receiving Gold certificates
• 2017 – League 1 Netball player at University of Exeter and participant in ‘Social Runs’ with the Running Society.
• 2016 – Intramural Hockey player at University of Exeter, and member of the Athletics Club
• 2012 and 2013 - ‘Sportswoman of the Year’ for excellent contribution to school sport.
• Yearly ‘House Representative’ on school Sport’s Day, involving coordinating and supporting the younger school students in all events.
• 2011 - Winner of Bishop Sutton Tennis Club girl’s singles and doubles tennis tournaments on 3 consecutive occasions before entering into women’s tennis.
• 2011 - Level 1 Sports Leadership Qualification gained by teaching younger students sport.
• 2016 – Achieved Red Cross lifeguard qualification following on from RLSS lifeguard qualification (NPLQ)
• 2013 - Advanced levels in Piano and Clarinet (Grade 6), and have played in the East Harptree Orchestra and the school ‘Wind Band’.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, arithmetic lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|