I am a history graduate who would love the opportunity to tutor secondary and university level students. I believe every student learns differently and so structure every lesson to suit the student! I am passionate about history and teaching and wish to pass that along to my students!
I was a tutor to two classes of thirteen first and second year university students over the course of two years while completing my Masters. Through in-class discussions and detailed feedback on essay work students work improved as they gained a deeper understanding of historical concepts and essay writing.
I am a hardworking, enthusiastic and organised history graduate looking to start my teaching career with the goal of becoming a qualified teacher. I believe in facilitating students learning and implementing teaching strategies which cater to student’s individual needs.
Looking to improve upon the teaching experience I have gained, I am eager to learn and receive feedback from teaching colleagues. I hope to pass on my passion of not only history but also learning in general.
MA in European History, National University of Ireland Maynooth, September 2014
Thesis Title: A Symbol of Allied Support? The Anglo-Russian Hospital in Petrograd, 1915-1918.
• Awards: Taught Master’s Entrance Scholarship and Master’s Bursary, First Class Honours
BA in History and Geography, National University of Ireland Maynooth, September 2012
• Awards: First Class Honours
TEACHING EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
CTL1: Professional Certificate in Teaching and Learning for Tutors and Demonstrators, National University of Ireland Maynooth, 2013
First Year Undergraduate History Tutor, 2012 -2013
Courses: Europe, 1750-1875; The First World War
Second Year Undergraduate History Tutor 2014
Course: Early Modern Britain
- Responsible for two classes of thirteen students each year at a top Irish University.
- Gave detailed feedback on student’s essay work.
- Facilitated student led in-class discussions.
- Administered grades for written work.
- Aided students in analysing written and visual primary sources.
- Promoted independent thinking by having students present on a primary or secondary source of their choice related to the course.
- Encouraged students to develop analytical and critical thinking skills with an emphasis on how these skills could be transferred to other classes and professional work scenarios.
- Taught a diverse student population and implemented teaching strategies to cater for different student needs.
Tutor to Leaving Certificate History Students, November 9, 2013
- Following a lecture tutored a group of Irish Leaving Certificate Students and facilitated an in-class discussion on using primary source material.
Head First Year Tutor, 2013
- Answered queries and complaints from first year tutors and addressed these complaints with relevant lecturers and administrative staff.
- Facilitated catch-up tutorials for transfer history students and provided guidelines, detailed feedback and grades for essay work.
Postgraduate Assistant, National University of Ireland Maynooth, 2012-2013
- Assisted the Postgraduate Department with the recruitment of students for upcoming postgraduate courses, this included the distribution and providing of information in relation to specific courses.
Conference Assistant, February 7 – 8, 2013
- Assistant for an historical conference entitled ‘Expanding geographies, uncertain geographies: Traditions of travel and knowledge gathering, c. 1600-1850.’
Open Day Assistant, November 29 – 30, 2013
- Assisted over two days in providing information to potential undergraduate students to National University of Ireland Maynooth at the History Department booth.
History Masters Representative on NUIM Postgraduate Feedback Council, 2013-2014
- Brought queries and complaints postgraduate history students had to the feedback council and participated in discussions about postgraduate facilities on campus.
Temporary Staff Liaison Coordinator, North Middlesex University Hospital, 2017 – 2018
- Helping to implement a new scheduling system (24/7) to schedule doctors for out of hours shifts.
- Run training sessions for the doctors and rota coordinators who schedule doctors shifts and answer any questions they have regarding the use of the system.
- Answer queries via phone calls, email and in person.
- Schedule and attend meetings with representatives from 24/7, the hospitals finance department, consultants and corporate staff.
- Create and distribute brief user guides for the system. Collect doctor’s information and register them on the system.
- Help implement the second phase of 24/7 in the hospital.
Administrative Assistant, Law Offices of Samuel V.P. Banks, 2016-2017
- In charge of completing and filing building and zoning applications with the City of Chicago.
- Liaised with homeowners and developers regarding the status of their applications.
- Discussed architectural drawings with architects for submission to the City of Chicago.
- Filled out legal documents for client’s signatures and organised and coordinated attorney’s schedules.
Server, Cheesecake Factory - Wayne, New Jersey and Chicago, Illinois, 2015-2016
Bartender, O’Neill’s Pub and Steakhouse-Maynooth, Ireland, 2009-2013
Bartender, Early’s Bar- Donegal, Ireland, 2006-2012
- Trained new staff in service procedures.
- Handled cash, giving out change and accurately cashing out at the end of every shift.
- resolved customer complaints, worked as an effective member of the server team, while also taking direction from shift leaders and managers.
- Worked in a fast paced environment, accurately taking and placing guest’s orders.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest general knowledge lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, geography lessons for all!
Taking geographical history lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£25||Not available|
|5 hours||Not available||£20||Not available|
|10 hours||Not available||£15||Not available|