I am a creative and enthusiastic teacher and work hard to match my lessons with the needs of students, taking each student on a case by case basis.
I teach ages 3-50, including English as a foreign language, English Literature, creative writing, grammar and functional English skills and SEN and dyslexic students.
I have taught extensively to 11,12, and 13+ students, along with GCSE and Alevel and have an excellent understanding of the various examination boards and their requirements.
I have worked in the UK and abroad with business men and women looking to improve their spoken and written English for work.
I also have a wealth of experience in helping university students tackle difficult essays and assignments, helping them manage their workload more effectively.
I trained at the Institute of Education where I received A/'outstanding' for my teaching. I was quickly promoted to Deputy Head of English in a London day school, where I taught students of all ages and abilities.
In the summer holidays during that time I started to work with adults teaching English as a foreign language and functional English skills.
I have been working now full-time as a private tutor for the past 5 years and have amassed a wealth of experience, both in face-to-face tutoring sessions and via Skype tuition. My skill lies in my ability to plan well structured, methodical lessons that meet clients' needs but that are also engaging and enjoyable!
CHARLOTTE DARE JACKSON
I am a fully qualified English teacher, rated ‘outstanding’ by the Institute of Education. I have worked with ages 6 – 20 years, both in schools and as a private tutor. My most recent in-school post was Second-in-Command and Key Stage 3 Coordinator for the English Department in a faith school in Tulse Hill. Since then I have worked primarily as a private tutor for families both in the UK and abroad.
I have a strong work ethic and excellent people skills. My strength lies in my ability to plan and deliver engaging lessons that are carefully tailored to specific learning needs and which enable students to meet the requirements of entrance exams, GCSEs and A levels.
I am a History graduate with a First Class MA Hons and have extensive experience teaching and tutoring in this subject.
EDUCATION & EXAMINATION
Primary / Preparatory School: Putney Park (1991-1995), The Study (1995-1999)
Secondary / Senior School: Heathfield School, Ascot, Berkshire (1999-2004)
A level: Drama A (OCR), English Literature A (AQA), History A (Edexcel)
GCSE: Religious Studies A (Edexcel), History A* (Edexcel), English Literature A* (OCR), English Language A (OCR), Classical Civilisation A* (OCR), French A (Edexcel), Biology A (Edexcel), Drama A* (AQA), Maths B (Edexcel)
Degrees / Diplomas
University of Edinburgh: MA (Hons) History - 1st Class
Institute of Education: PGCE English Secondary - ‘Outstanding’ / A
Bigfoot Drama Facilitator Course: ‘Actor as educator’
Queens Secretarial College: ICT qualification, 80 WPM
‘Moving from Good to Outstanding’, ‘Effective Questioning’, ‘Outstanding teaching’, ‘Effective Questioning’: SL6 twilight session
Led a ‘Creativity in the classroom’ SL6 twilight session
‘11+ and 13+’, entrance technique – training for teachers
‘Enable students to develop high level vocabulary, punctuation and grammar’ – EMC Centre
OCR AS and A-level course – EMC Centre
January 2005: Sunningdale School, Ascot: Assistant Matron: (ages 5-11)
Summer 2006: Nicholas Gullen School, Quito, Ecuador: Teacher (ages 3-16)
Sept 2011: The Study School, Wimbledon: short-term TA (ages 7-11)
Oct 2011: Windsor Boys School: TA to Drama department (ages 15-17)
April-June 2013: Allfarthing School, Wandsworth: part-time Drama teacher (ages 5-11)
Oct 2013-Jan 2014: The Elmgreen School, Tulse Hill
PGCE training: Taught year groups 8-10.
Received ‘outstanding’ in the End of Placement Report
Provided additional support to History department
Jan – May 2014: Burntwood School, Wandsworth
PGCE training: Taught all year groups including A-level
Helped Head of Department design entrance tests
Led A-level revision groups
September 2014 – April 2016: St Martin-in-the-Fields Secondary School for Girls, Tulse Hill
• Full-time English teacher, teaching all year groups, including Key Stage 5
• Second-in-command and Key Stage 3 coordinator: responsible for developing the curriculum for all of Key Stage 3 English, inputting, analyzing and acting on data for whole of Key Stage 3
• Responsible for the design of entrance examinations for 11+, 12+ and 13+
• Responsible for Academic Language initiative across Key Stage 3 and an Academic Excellence program in the 6th Form
• Run workshops to promote literacy across all subjects
• 100% targets met at GCSE
Summer Term 2016: English Teacher at The Elmgreen School, Tulse Hill
• Invited back to this school to work four days a week supporting the English Department as English teacher and doing some supply work.
• Preparing GCSE students for examinations
• Working across Key Stage 3 and 4
2012 - ongoing: Private Tutor with the agencies - Bonas Macfarlane Tuition and Bespoke Tuition
• English tuition in pre-test, 11+ and 13+ exam technique
• Entrance examination techniques for applicants to; Benendon, Christ’s Hospital, Heathfield St Marys Ascot, Dulwich College, Haileybury and JAGs
• English and History tuition for GCSEs, A levels and University exams
• Functional English Language skills
• Oxbridge preparation and University study skills
• History tuition for ages 11 and above
• General study skills, organization and revision techniques
• Specialism in working with SEN and EAL students
• 100% targets met for re-take tutees
January – March 2018, Private Tutor for 5 students in Kiev
• Live-in tutor in Kiev, planning and delivering lessons to ages 5, 10, 12, 14 and 40
• Role included teaching the 5 year old boy and 40 year old mother English as a foreign language
• Lessons for 10, 12, 14 followed the Key Stage 2 and 3 curriculums and focused on preparation for entry examinations for Haileybury.
Media & communications:
2010-2011: Leo Burnett Advertising Agency
2011-2013: Iris London: management of non-profit and public sector accounts:
• AQA (educational charity and exam board): assisted with product development and marketing calendar strategy to schools.
• Home Office: youth marketing campaigns, including Talk to FRANK (the drugs advisory service) and Teenage Relationship Abuse.
VOLUNTEER WORK / YOUTH OUTREACH PROGRAMS
Brixton Community Base: led a drama club at a youth centre in Lambeth for ages 13-18
Kids Company: mentor to a 9-year-old girl in Streatham.
Charlie is a really wonderful tutor, very trustworthy and reliable - highly recommend!
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest english literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking 11+ school exam preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|