For lessons designed at degree level, the methodology will consist of a 1 to 1 discussion to find out the areas and reasons attributing to a difficulty within a given concept. I then intend to use a tutorial style teaching and example question method to increase the students competence and confidence when approaching problems and related material.
For school level, it is important to understand the pupil's prior knowledge and so I will explain a topic with intrinsic questions to root out misconceptions and challenge the pupil to think deeply about the topic. I will then introduce exam-style questions and encourage the pupil to understand the marking of exams and how to approach a paper.
I am a Durham University graduate with a Bachelor of Science (Honours) in chemistry who has experience teaching online through a PGCE course currently being undertaken at secondary school level. I have also mentored at university level aiding students through their degree.
Bachelor of Science (Hons) - Chemistry, 2016-2019
Durham University – Durham
Studying Chemistry at Durham gave me the opportunity to develop important skills and experience, whilst applying them to practical problems and scenarios.
• The laboratory courses developed my analytical and analysis skills with regards to collecting, recording and interpreting case data under pressure and in a fast-paced environment. They also helped me develop problem-solving skills where quick decisions needed to be made.
• The dissertation module tasked me to use critical thinking and rational thought when independently researching and presenting and discussing scientific articles on a given topic.
• A presentation module included in the course involved the use and development of teamwork and coordination when presenting a topic to my peers and lecturers. Additionally, it improved my leadership and delegation qualities when leading the team through the research and design phase of the presentation.
• I was also a college mentor. This involved mentoring first-year students academically and supporting them with adapting to university life. The academic mentoring aided me with teaching abstract concepts in an alternative way that the student would understand and progress through.
Science PGCE (M7 Level) – Specialism Chemistry, 2020-2021
Greenwich University – London
• Masters’ level modules helped to develop critical writing and research techniques around teaching pedagogy, allowing me to explore the literature of teaching to develop my own philosophies.
• Placement and virtual placement modules enabled me to plan lessons around a scheme of work and enhanced my ability to teach the lessons online and physically in a well-pitched manner.
• Professional studies have introduced me to the social and professional skills needed to be adapted to safeguard and provide good quality care and teaching.
• Alongside studying, I am a student ambassador through the Outreach Ambassador programme set up by the Greenwich SU, offering academic, financial and mental health support and advice through a challenging year for students.
maths lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest physics lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chemistry lessons for all!
Taking organic chemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||£8|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||£40|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||£80|