I take a student-centred approach, encouraging students to identify areas of weakness so that we can work on these together. I also focus on exam rubric to ensure all essential skills are covered and practiced. Feedback is given at all times.
I am an English Literature postgraduate from Goldsmiths, University of London, working as a tutor and as a freelance copyeditor. I have a background in schools, where I have taught as a teacher and as an assistant teacher. I am also a published writer of poetry and a committed writer of prose. Literature is a vocation for me, and I therefore understand the subjects of English language intimately and can help people with confidence.
I am happy to travel anywhere in London to teach, however if a lesson is cancelled up to three hours before I require a £20 payment.
Teddy McDonald, English Tutor
I am a graduate from Goldsmiths University of London, and Newcastle University, in Modern Literature (MA) and English literature (BA). I am a skilled writer of academic and journalistic content, a published writer of poetry and a committed writer of prose. I have a vocation for literature.
I currently work as an English language tutor and part time as a freelance copyeditor. I have a wealth of experience working in schools.
I’m committed to helping you learn, friendly and dependable—and, ultimately, passionate about English language.
Employment and achievements
1. Freelance Copy Editor
- I work as a freelance copy editor of fiction and non-fiction publications.
- My current jobs are a Burmese dictionary and a cookbook, which I am editing for Tuttle Publishing. Before that, I edited a Burmese Phrasebook in its entirety, and prior to that a collection of short stories set in Tokyo, by a Tokyo-based American author, called The Mad Kyoto Shoe-swapper, both also for Tuttle Publishing.
- I have a deep understanding of the English language, grammar and syntax, and an intimate relationship with literature, strengthened over the course of two degrees. I have a keen eye for detail which enables me to finely hone a piece of writing, whether this means tightening up on grammatical or syntactical mistakes or editing a work to have a more appropriate economy of expression.
2. Communication, time management and people managing skills, working as a teacher at Tic Tac Talk language school, Logrono, Spain, September – January 2017
- I worked for several months teaching English to Spanish classes of all ages—from small children to classes of mature students—at a language school in Logrono, Spain.
- I had to plan my own lessons, which involved developing my organisational and time management skills; and I had to ensure the smooth running and effectiveness of my lessons, as I was often preparing students to pass important exams.
- The role strengthened my ability to communicate my ideas to groups (I had to work across a language barrier). It also involved a level of responsibility, as I had to supervise classes of small children.
3. Writer and photographer for Newcastle University Newspaper, The Courier, September 2012—June 2015
- Throughout my degree at Newcastle, I wrote constantly as a film, art and music journalist for The Courier, strengthening my journalistic style and thriving being immersed in my work.
- I also took photographs for some of their features, including gigs and interviews.
I have an online following for my photography, and it is an interest I have pursued for nearly ten years. (Examples available on request).
- Besides writing for The Courier, I also keep my own online blog, where I write essays and content about cinema, art, literature and other topics that concern me.
4. Other positions and skills
- I worked as a Teacher’s Assistant at Halstow Primary School from September 2016 until July 2017; I led focus groups of maths, literacy and story-time; I supervised children in the playground and on school trips to ensure their safety.
- I was a shop manager at McColls, West Kirby, from June until September, 2015. As shop manager, I opened and closed shop, ran the shop entirely alone and cashed up at the end of the shift.
- I have written poetry and prose for nearly ten years, and have had two poems published, with another soon to be published, in volumes 1, 2 and 3 of Toothgrinder Publishing’s Away With Words.
MA Modern Literature – Goldsmiths, University of London (Merit)
BA English Literature – Newcastle University – (2:1)
A-level – Art, English literature, History – (A*, A, B)
AS level – Philosophy (A)
10 GCSE’S – 4 A* (English Lit; English Lang; Art; Physics), 6 A’s
Cathy Layne, Tuttle Publishing, (concealed information)
Luisa Machado, General Manager at Greenwich Picture House,
Teddy is an excellent tutor. I was struggling with my studies until I met Teddy; his warm and friendly approach made me feel confident and at ease and he was able to bring me up to scratch really quickly. Teddy saved my GCSE English!
Teddy is a reliable and extremely knowledgeable person, who will ensure you are fulfilling your upmost potential.
I couldn’t recommend a kinder or more helpful person.
english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking poetry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||£40||£9|